Art & About Sydney 2021 program
We’re seeking creative projects that engage, surprise, delight and inspire Sydneysiders.
Ideas and proposals from all art disciplines are welcome. With a focus on art in unusual places, our year-long calendar of projects is part of realising the City of Sydney’s Cultural Policy and Action Plan.
This is an open call for proposals from local, interstate, first nations, and international artists. You don’t have to be an Australian citizen or permanent resident to apply.
We’re looking for projects that:
- are temporary works presented in a public or unusual space
- demonstrate artistic excellence
- are original and forward thinking
- involve or engage an audience in its development / presentation or both.
Selected works will be realised between February 2021 and December 2021.
$$ on offer
We’ll provide funding between $40,000 and $85,000 for a number of projects.
All submissions must be made through the online form. Emailed submissions won’t be accepted. To complete the form, the following are required:
- Artist/team contact details
- CVs/bio’s of all team members
- Detailed project description
- Conceptual visuals of the project
- An indicative production budget
Please ensure that all uploaded files are clearly labelled with your name.
Tip: We recommend reading our terms and conditions before completing your submission.
Proposals will be evaluated by a panel including leading members of Sydney’s artistic community. Applications will be judged on but not limited to:
- creative approach
- use of public/unusual space
- calibre/experience of artist/s/team
- audience engagement/experience.
Stage 1: Expressions of interest close 5pm, Sydney time Friday 7 February 2020
Stage 2: Shortlisted project proposals due April 2020
Stage 3: Selected artists notified June 2020
Locations of works
We’re happy to work with you to investigate securing location approvals from private property owners.
If you have any queries, please email us.
Please note that only written enquiries can be addressed for legal reasons.
- Australian friends, are you on a GreenPower based electricity plan at home and/or work? If so, high five you! Tell us about it in your application.
- The City of Sydney is going 100% renewable in 2020. We’re also working on ways to reduce single-use plastics. We believe we must all take climate action now. We encourage all artists to consider the environmental impact of their projects.